First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
It finally got to 83 degrees today and I ran a 10 mile loop with my 6x12 cargo trailer, 3 times at 75 mph, temps were stable for over 5 minutes......
Stock setup/baseline engine oil temp was 240f. Normally I would only see 225 ish so I know it was working it a bit...... Sport grill with no bezels was 238 or 239 so not significant..... I removed the grill completely and got 232f.

An 8 degree drop while loaded is something to note but probably won't save you climbing a mountain, IMO.

I plan to do more test soon, Lol and remove the light bar.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 20210718_182932

20210718_125447.jpg

20210718_130025.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepin48

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Well I just got back from driving several hours in 102 degree heat sadly I don't think the s&b scoops do anything and I even took the grill off to see if that made a difference and if it did it was very little,so my advice is save your money grills and hood scoops are not the answer
There is going to be a minimum temp the engine is designed run at. My experience says 225 engine oil, 210 coolant, and 195 trans. If you are not "working it" or well above those then the extra flow will not do much to lower temps. Do you remember where any temps were?

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Just thought I would chime in on your discussion of air flow around the hood area. I have a gasser Rubicon JT. Yesterday I was on the turnpike in some light rain cruising 78-80 mph. In the roughly 18”x18” flat area of the hood where the windshield rests are there were several puddles of water that just hung out with pretty much no movement except for a bit of surface ripple. Outboard slightly of the hood vents you could see water beads slowly making their way rearward. No fresh wax to aid beading.....
Doesn't seem to be much airflow along the center of the hood surface at speed.

Pike1892

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
I did another run today during the hottest part of the day, 102 in Salt Lake City and I headed back up Parleys canyon.This time I pulled the steep grade with the Rubivon vents doing 75mph with AC full blast. I didn't get a load in the bed or haul a trailer like I had hoped. Parleys is a 6% grade for several miles.

This is just hitting the freeway.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 20210718_160159

This was at the summit of Parleys canyon with Rubicon vents in but the hood blanket removed. Doing 75mph.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 20210718_161353

This is the Rubicon vents completely removed. Doing 75mph at the summit again.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 20210718_162622

Only 3 degrees difference, what is interesting is the oil temp had the biggest drop of 7 degrees and Trans temp stayed the same. I guess I won't be opening the vents and as others have said on scoops no big gains.

Next I think I will try trimming the inner fenders a few Inches or remove them completely and do another test run.

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
There is going to be a minimum temp the engine is designed run at. My experience says 225 engine oil, 210 coolant, and 195 trans. If you are not "working it" or well above those then the extra flow will not do much to lower temps. Do you remember where any temps were?
Good point I wasn't towing or working the truck super hard I pushed speeds up to 75mph was all all my temps stayed in the range you said which is what they usually are

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepin48

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Only 3 degrees difference, what is interesting is the oil temp had the biggest drop of 7 degrees and Trans temp stayed the same. I guess I won't be opening the vents and as others have said on scoops no big gains.

Next I think I will try trimming the inner fenders a few Inches or remove them completely and do another test run.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the testing. The wheel wells are a great next step and clearly you are getting to the high temps. That is next on my list as well. My temps are only in the lower 80s so it is harder to get the right time to test. If they work it should be easy to add some clip or screw on covers for any section that is removed. ..... When yours goes to de-rate what does the dash say as the warning?

Pike1892

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the testing. The wheel wells are a great next step and clearly you are getting to the high temps. That is next on my list as well. My temps are only in the lower 80s so it is harder to get the right time to test. If they work it should be easy to add some clip or screw on covers for any section that is removed. ..... When yours goes to de-rate what does the dash say as the warning?
[/QUOTE]

I haven't had anything come up on the dash but when I had a trailer I could definitely feel the power loss. It was the temp gauge by the steering that was one bar from hot. If I had another mile or two I'm sure I would have had a message to pull over. Use to a 1/2 ton gas pulling with ease at high speeds and I'm sure that contributed to the heat. Need to learn to slow it down and get in the torqe band on the diesel.

I think I will try and take the fenderliner out before I spend any $$ on inner fenders. Next will be trying to figure out additional radiator or oil cooler.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Elevation doesn't matter, it's the ambient temp and load the engine is under. I overheated climbing out of Death Valley where the climb started below sea level.
Wrong..

Elevation does absolutely matter. See this video for an explanation…

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I'm wondering if an oil cooler might help more

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Wrong..

Elevation does absolutely matter. See this video for an explanation…

Ok, I was well under the max tow rating and elevation wasn't much of a factor in my overheating situation since I started mt climb well UNDER sea level, it derated, and then overheated near the 2000' mark, but the easy cop out explanation is "It fell outside of the ideal Davis dam grade test spec".

So the question here is whether we were misled by hype and is that illegal or unethical.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Ok, I was well under the max tow rating and elevation wasn't much of a factor in my overheating situation since I started mt climb well UNDER sea level, it derated, and then overheated near the 2000' mark, but the easy cop out explanation is "It fell outside of the ideal Davis dam grade test spec".

So the question here is whether we were misled by hype and is that illegal or unethical.
Jeep lists the specs they rate the towing with. Those specs are available to the public (there’s a good breakdown here: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/) so there’s really no misleading being done.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Jeep lists the specs they rate the towing with. Those specs are available to the public (there’s a good breakdown here: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/) so there’s really no misleading being done.
…and as far as I can tell all the manufacturers use the same SAE specifications.
I agree with some of the comments here that imply that the criteria of the test aren’t really that strict or realistic…I mean, who drives on a highway at 45 MPH?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OK it seems that this topic is getting out of control in the automotive world…

As most of you know as shown from my video linked above TFL had an issue with their F-150 that was “theoretically“ towing above the rating IF you derate the capacity due to the elevation they were at.

Now here is another video they released with a Chevy 1500 with the 6.2L V-8 with the tow package that is rated to tow 11,000 pounds shutting down when only towing 7,000 pounds at a slower speed!

WTF?

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara

You're also talking about the literal hottest place on the planet. It just hit 130F last week, or the week before. It's kind of hard to compare below/at sea level with 120F+ temps vs. at elevation with 90F+ temps.

If the temperature is the same, at elevation will make a lot more difference.
Sponsored