Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Update: stock muffler back in so the truck sounds great again but still have the drone issue at cruising speed but it's so much better than the alternative muffler I had on for a day which was drone without the roar. So happier again 😁 the guys at Lous Custom Exhaust suggested duals that split after the muffler to get rid of drone. They would fab the pipes and it would be 2x2.5 inch pipes. I'll check with Jared and RubiTrux on their thoughts to see if it's worth a shot. The guys at Lous are pure gold btw
All you need is a J pipe to kill the drone. What rpm is it the worst at?

Edit, I see that above. a 29 1/2" J pipe should fix it.

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
little update report. The HEMI has really grown on me and I thoroughly enjoy driving it around town. usually have the radio off and just listen to the V8. On long highway drives I just keep it in 7th which all but takes care of my drone for now. I'll do some work around that once the season is over and test J-pipe, duals and whatnot. Now to the important stuff:

Took it to the first wheeling event with the club. I was the only gladiator and this was a north east private property so very very narrow and technical with huge ass rocks everywhere.

We did mostly blues that felt much harder and I managed at least one black that I was aware was a black ha ha. I was able to get around all the turns and only had to back up a couple times to reset. There was not a in inch to spare sometimes. That was really fun. Going through the rock gardens and up the steeps the HEMI was fabulous. low end torque really came through. It was a lot of fun to slow crawl up and down the trails. Throttle response was mostly excellent and I don't think I spun the tires once. I would say the gladiator can definitely go on these type of trails but it's certainly not ideal with its size. but that makes its somewhat cool and fun and challenging.

One thing I noticed is that the truck wanted to lunge forward at times and I really had to push the brakes to hold it and not bump into something ahead of me. it's the idle revs that sometimes seem to spike a bit. Not sure how to describe it better. There was a JL AMW HEMI as well on the ride and he described the same behavior at times.

All in all total blast and I scraped every single piece of body armor as well as hit both diff covers.

In terms of 35s and gearing it worked perfect in 4Lo with the stock gears. I am thinking to maybe try 37s for that extra bit of clearance esp. after airing down but I don't want to spend on new axles and gears just yet. will see.

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
little update report. The HEMI has really grown on me and I thoroughly enjoy driving it around town. usually have the radio off and just listen to the V8. On long highway drives I just keep it in 7th which all but takes care of my drone for now. I'll do some work around that once the season is over and test J-pipe, duals and whatnot. Now to the important stuff:

Took it to the first wheeling event with the club. I was the only gladiator and this was a north east private property so very very narrow and technical with huge ass rocks everywhere.

We did mostly blues that felt much harder and I managed at least one black that I was aware was a black ha ha. I was able to get around all the turns and only had to back up a couple times to reset. There was not a in inch to spare sometimes. That was really fun. Going through the rock gardens and up the steeps the HEMI was fabulous. low end torque really came through. It was a lot of fun to slow crawl up and down the trails. Throttle response was mostly excellent and I don't think I spun the tires once. I would say the gladiator can definitely go on these type of trails but it's certainly not ideal with its size. but that makes its somewhat cool and fun and challenging.

One thing I noticed is that the truck wanted to lunge forward at times and I really had to push the brakes to hold it and not bump into something ahead of me. it's the idle revs that sometimes seem to spike a bit. Not sure how to describe it better. There was a JL AMW HEMI as well on the ride and he described the same behavior at times.

All in all total blast and I scraped every single piece of body armor as well as hit both diff covers.

In terms of 35s and gearing it worked perfect in 4Lo with the stock gears. I am thinking to maybe try 37s for that extra bit of clearance esp. after airing down but I don't want to spend on new axles and gears just yet. will see.
Are you still happy with the stock axles after that trail ride?

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Are you still happy with the stock axles after that trail ride?
so far yes! that's a change I only want to make once I develop any issues. also being gentle and trying to maintain traction rather than power and spin through.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Doors are off!!! figured out my favorite summer setup to be soft top on with quarter panels and rear window and front doors out plus tube doors for the rear. The HEMI really shines with the open air setup and this is really fun for cruising! I just wish someone made a rain cover that works with top on but doors off. Beyond me why this does not exist

IMG_20210609_103820.jpg

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Doors are off!!! figured out my favorite summer setup to be soft top on with quarter panels and rear window and front doors out plus tube doors for the rear. The HEMI really shines with the open air setup and this is really fun for cruising! I just wish someone made a rain cover that works with top on but doors off. Beyond me why this does not exist

IMG_20210609_103820.jpg
Thats how I usually run from spring to fall here. I'm way too Irish to not stay shaded the majority of the time. Will need half doors once second car seat goes in, debating on just getting the Bestop cloth doors though so I can store the uppers to close things up when needed.

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
one thing I keep noticing in 4LOW is when in D I have to push really hard on the brakes to keep the truck from moving. at times need to floor brakes and when switching between R and D to maneuver it lunges with a good deal of force and again have to be really hard on the brakes.

On the upside HEMI power is great for rock crawling, river crossings and mud pits.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
How high is the idle? Could just be an adjustment to lower it a little if it is engaging the torque converter.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Got to love all that low end torque now. V8 and low range can get interesting at times. I had the same issue with my JKU and 6.0 LS. It would try and push thru the brakes in lo lock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Got to love all that low end torque now. V8 and low range can get interesting at times. I had the same issue with my JKU and 6.0 LS. It would try and push thru the brakes in lo lock.
It's pretty amazing to be honest. Here is a poorly filmed audio clip of a nice little section. It was wet, rocky and steep

Attachments

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Thought I post a short update here as i was reading through some of my previous posts in this thread - I was not a happy camper then. Sorry about the negativity - that doesn’t help anyone.

having had the HEMI now for half a year I am nothing but in love. The power is incredible. Especially on the trails and water crossings. It’s like cheating. Doors off and roof off is also nothing short of pure fun. Mileage has settled on 13MPG for town and 16 highway so decent.I still have the drone at 1800 with my setup but it doesn’t bother me at this point.
I am going to put 37s on and swap the axle shafts so curious to see what that does.
I am planning to contact the fine folks at AMW on a custom dual exhaust option similar to what they have for the 392 from the factory. Hey could make use of the start stop button eh ? Anyone on the fence do it. It’s worth every penny and do it with AMW !!!

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
New stuff on order:
Nitro Trail Grapplers M/T 37x12.5
RCV and Yukon axle shafts for the D44s
Rock Krawler 3-inch pro lift
Falcon 3.3 SP2 shocks all around
Falcon steering stabilizer

should all be completed within 6 months with the current wait times on shocks and lift.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
RainGear and Bestop cab covers both advertise to work with Soft-top on, about to order the RainGear myself. https://www.raingearcovers.com/product-page/4-door-gladiator-cab-cover , they go in and out of stock pretty regularly

Jeep Gladiator My 6.4L HEMI Gladiator conversion IMG_20210609_103820
Sponsored