Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
They must be confident they have the bugs worked out in the 3.0L Hurricane for the Ram. Iā€™d like to see it as a plug-in hybrid.

PS: Donā€™t think weā€™ll be seeing the 3.0L TT in the JT until the next model.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
They must be confident they have the bugs worked out in the 3.0L Hurricane for the Ram. Iā€™d like to see it as a plug-in hybrid.

PS: Donā€™t think weā€™ll be seeing the 3.0L TT in the JT until the next model.
I would be interested too, but sometimes I am very happy I don't have to deal with Tubos and such on the truck. The GC is giving me plenty to do

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The manual gladiator and the 3.6JL auto have the same ~3500 rated towing..
The 2.0JL is ~2K and uses the same 850RE transmission.
The manual gladiator is 4500 lbs on Rubicon and Mojave. A good bit more than the JL. Two door JL is only 2500. The wheel base is what kills it on JLs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The manual gladiator is 4500 lbs on Rubicon and Mojave. A good bit more than the JL. Two door JL is only 2500. The wheel base is what kills it on JLs.
Hitch location too, like the bronco the jl only gets a class 2 hitch because of how it's installed.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
A
the GC 4xe is rated to pull 6k, and uses the 2.0T. Granted, it has a bigger radiator area, but they seem confident in that powertrain.
And has much less aero drag

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
At the various JT launch press junkets, the Jeep engineers were pinged on why no 2.0 in the JT with the answer that they ran JT test mules with the 2.0 and it failed to keep cool at any reasonable tow rating it would be expected to perform and they dropped it from consideration then.

They did not expound if that was turbo and/or engine cooling but made it sound like a 2.0 turbo JT was nothing near term without significant further engineering development.
It must be cooling. The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4xe with the turbocharged 2.0L has a tow rating of 6,000lbs.

Edit: I just saw that @MrKnowitall made the same point a bit earlier. I do doubt that aerodynamics, as @22EcoDs stated, has much to do with it.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Seems they are going all in on EV. Time will tell us if their decision is a good one, as most other companies are taking a more measured approach considering the still slow sales of EV compared to ICE.
The Jeep CEO said that 50% in US by 2024 and 100% in EU. What models involved was not announced. Thereā€™s a link to the video and a long thread here somewhere.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i think its irresponsible for car manufactures to all go this route when its not equal to or better then engines. The range is not there, extreme cold/hot weather is a problem, and battery replacement is ridiculous and what happens when there's power outages we will all be stuck. imo hybrid is the way to go small engine with battery power and its a win win. ...rant over
I agree. PHEVs are now. EVs are in the future sometime. My state doesnā€™t have enough chargers to go from one side of the state to the other.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you want to believe what you read that they want you to see, go right ahead.

I've worked in both Kokomo, Indiana plants where they are dumping half a billion dollars on something that is NOT an EV.

Again, I'll follow the money thank you.

They have another 340 million going towards a new battery plant in Kokomo that hasn't broken ground yet. So, following the money, they put more faith in the ICE than the EV.
Not according to the Jeep CEO.

Cracked_Windshield

First Name
Elisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
U.S. Army Retired
I have Google alerts setup for ā€ecodieselā€ and got this sad news in my email recently. God, it was a depressing read.

On one hand, Iā€™m in the camp thatā€™s hoping because this is a much-used engine in Europe itā€™ll survive for at least a while longer. On the other hand, Iā€™m in the worried camp. We wonā€™t be getting parts and the eocdiesel is gonna get killed in the Gladiator soon too.

I didnā€™t buy the extended warranty because itā€™s rare for me to keep something longer than the factory warranty, but if Iā€™ve still got this near 36k miles, Iā€™m gonna buy the longest time and mileage factory backed one that Stellantis is selling. I donā€™t mess with the 3rd party ones.

I almost bought a RAM 2500 Cummins instead of my diesel Rubicon. But went for this because itā€™s smaller and easier to maneuver around town. But this news is giving me a small bit of buyerā€™s remorse.

I also like what one of the posters said. The Gladiator would have been so much better with an inline 4-cylinder Cummins. Iā€™ll add to that a slightly larger build size across the board.

Keep the faith!

Average-Joe

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport Altitude
Occupation
Manager
I hope we always have the ICE - gas or diesel. Not sold on electric yet
Sponsored