Sponsored

Updated - Gladiator EcoDiesel Bottoming Out Poll 2 - Spring Part Numbers

If your Gladiator Diesel is bottoming out, what are the part numbers on your front springs?

• Total voters
OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
@WXman This is the video from right after my visit to the dealership. Stock plastic bumper. Mine requires a bit more speed, between 20 and 25mph on speed humps... less on potholes
@OrangeCJ Do you have a GoPro to mount underneath to capture the suspension for that?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
@WXman This is the video from right after my visit to the dealership. Stock plastic bumper. Mine requires a bit more speed, between 20 and 25mph on speed humps... less on potholes
Sounded like the shocks were not even attempting to dampen that. Good grief.

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Sounded like the shocks were not even attempting to dampen that. Good grief.
I edited out my wife's reaction :)

I do have a go-pro, but I never bothered to take a video underneath because when this all started it seemed like jeepdidcare, and they were going to take this issue seriously. Now even though I jumped through all their hoops, they don't really care. They did not have the dealership gather the right information when is set my vehicle back to stock for them to "test" with. I don't feel like pulling my winch, bumper, armor, spacers, etc. to test again... It doesn't bottom out with the spacers now, so I can't get a valid test.

I am dealing with a pretty significant oil leak right now... spraying all over the firewall, exhaust, and UCA on the turbo side, so I guess the suspension issues is on the back burner right now. The old OrangeCJ5 Buick Oddfire bleeds less than this pretty new TurboDiesel ;)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I edited out my wife's reaction :)

I do have a go-pro, but I never bothered to take a video underneath because when this all started it seemed like jeepdidcare, and they were going to take this issue seriously. Now even though I jumped through all their hoops, they don't really care. They did not have the dealership gather the right information when is set my vehicle back to stock for them to "test" with. I don't feel like pulling my winch, bumper, armor, spacers, etc. to test again... It doesn't bottom out with the spacers now, so I can't get a valid test.

I am dealing with a pretty significant oil leak right now... spraying all over the firewall, exhaust, and UCA on the turbo side, so I guess the suspension issues is on the back burner right now. The old OrangeCJ5 Buick Oddfire bleeds less than this pretty new TurboDiesel ;)
Mine is leaking also and it gets worse every time I look under the Jeep. I've just been waiting for my dealership to get a rental vehicle for me because they have so many engine repairs going that they're taking a list.

Sponsored

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
Any one know if JL owners are experiencing the the same issue with their ecodiesels ???

Last edited:

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SO! I asked the forum a question if the JL's are experiencing the same issue and it got me thinking... I did some measurements and CRACKED THE CASE !!!

The bumpstop metal cup sits ~1.5" lower than my Wifes jeep JL (4xe)... This is whats killing our suspension performance, Not the spring rate or ride height (granted a lift will help) ! I am going to go to the dealer and measure a gas gladiator, i suspect the gas gladiator and my wifes 4xe will measure the same and us ecodiesel folks will have the longer bumpstop length ...

Also, @JeepCares assures me that they will do NOTHING more than replace stock parts with stock parts... I guess engineering is confidant that 2 and 5/8 up travel is sufficient for a 4x4 offroad truck (which we know is NOT)...

If my assumptions and measurements are correct, then we need to adjust our bump stop spacers with lift kits for optimal performance! basically reduce the bumpstop spacer by 1.5". I think the Mopar lift kit comes with 2" spacers, with an ecodiesel, this should be reduced to .5"

*DISCLAIMER: Always cycle your suspension to ensure proper bumpstop length with respect to shock travel AND tire clearence.

james2021dieselglad

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
SO! I asked the forum a question if the JL's are experiencing the same issue and it got me thinking... I did some measurements and CRACKED THE CASE !!!

The bumpstop metal cup sits ~1.5" lower than my Wifes jeep JL (4xe)... This is whats killing our suspension performance, Not the spring rate or ride height (granted a lift will help) ! I am going to go to the dealer and measure a gas gladiator, i suspect the gas gladiator and my wifes 4xe will measure the same and us ecodiesel folks will have the longer bumpstop length ...

Also, @JeepCares assures me that they will do NOTHING more than replace stock parts with stock parts... I guess engineering is confidant that 2 and 5/8 up travel is sufficient for a 4x4 offroad truck (which we know is NOT)...

If my assumptions and measurements are correct, then we need to adjust our bump stop spacers with lift kits for optimal performance! basically reduce the bumpstop spacer by 1.5". I think the Mopar lift kit comes with 2" spacers, with an ecodiesel, this should be reduced to .5"

*DISCLAIMER: Always cycle your suspension to ensure proper bumpstop length with respect to shock travel AND tire clearence.

So you found the reason. So @JeepCares Is saying that this defect is here to stay? So we are screwed? If I am reading that correctly, that is NOT acceptable. I have been waiting almost 2 months for a resolution. Do you guys think I should peruse a lawsuit? Maybe get a trade for another gladiator diesel that wouldn't have this issue?

Should we try to get others involved like the media or any other places? This issue is an issue that could be potentially dangerous. If what you are saying is true and that the ONLY WAY to fix this is with a lift kit, then jeep needs to pay for it. I did not buy this vehicle with this defect. I bought what I thought was a vehicle without any defect such as this. To sell one without disclosure is fraudulent by Jeep. I am really starting to lose my cool here reading such things as this.

The Mopar lift IS a jeep part. We need to be given parts to FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you found the reason. So @JeepCares Is saying that this defect is here to stay? So we are screwed? If I am reading that correctly, that is NOT acceptable. I have been waiting almost 2 months for a resolution. Do you guys think I should peruse a lawsuit? Maybe get a trade for another gladiator diesel that wouldn't have this issue?

Should we try to get others involved like the media or any other places? This issue is an issue that could be potentially dangerous. If what you are saying is true and that the ONLY WAY to fix this is with a lift kit, then jeep needs to pay for it. I did not buy this vehicle with this defect. I bought what I thought was a vehicle without any defect such as this. To sell one without disclosure is fraudulent by Jeep. I am really starting to lose my cool here reading such things as this.

The Mopar lift IS a jeep part. We need to be given parts to FIX THIS PROBLEM!
A fix will be available "next year" according to my rep. My guess is stiffer springs and shocks, it will likely ride like crap. my 1981 corvette has more uptravel (stock, in the rear).

Its a tough argument, the real question is "is 2-5/8 uptravel a defect???" it would be the interpretation of the lawyer if you decide to lawyer up ... good luck

I already had a scare in the rain, hit a hidden pot hole and did a little shake, a little scary.

I am still pushing for a solution, if nothing happens then ill throw in the towel and lift the jeep. get on with life.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Th
The link is not working…

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

…don’t forget lower engine contact with axle. If my axle rebounds up a little the lowest point will then be my oil pan to fend off rocks, stumps, curbs, badly crowned roads, speed bumps if hit staggered etc.

james2021dieselglad

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
A fix will be available "next year" according to my rep. My guess is stiffer springs and shocks, it will likely ride like crap. my 1981 corvette has more uptravel (stock, in the rear).

Its a tough argument, the real question is "is 2-5/8 uptravel a defect???" it would be the interpretation of the lawyer if you decide to lawyer up ... good luck

I already had a scare in the rain, hit a hidden pot hole and did a little shake, a little scary.

I am still pushing for a solution, if nothing happens then ill throw in the towel and lift the jeep. get on with life.
That is NOT a good fix.

Cant they just replace the bump stops with shorter ones? Or is that not possible.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is NOT a good fix.

Cant they just replace the bump stops with shorter ones? Or is that not possible.
They obviously designed it that way for a reason, prolly keep the axle from hitting the engine.

I wouldn’t chop them down. Only other option is lift … throw a spacer on it.

If they do make a gladiator rubicon xtreme recon 392 ( that’s long winded), those would be the springs to grab… I guess the wrangler version currently in production would be a good fix and a 1.5” longer shock and golden

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I noticed today that my teraflex bumpstop extensions have a very defined circle impression from the bumpstop hitting continuously. Tragic. Im looking into heavy springs….

Wiltheves

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Ecodiesel
Occupation
Education
I appreciate you tagging me here, james2021dieselglad. Please know, I am doing everything on my end to bring this concern to the attention of those in a position to assist. At this point, if anyone is experiencing the concern and would like to send a private message for assistance, I will get to them as soon as possible to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I have a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S and it has the same issue. I have report the problem to transport Canada. Additionally I have wear Mark's on the co trolls arms where metal on metal contact is showing metal damage. The bump stops are not protecting the control arms and they are starting to rust.
Sponsored