Sponsored

What to do with my Hellcat Gladiator

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If you can afford that ride you can afford to have it fixed.. I wouldn’t expect anyone to touch that thing for 30k in the current state fixed 50k likely. I wouldn’t think you’d be trashing the company by calling it what it is.. likely no decent aftermarket companies gonna remove all emission controls etc on a motor and jack up a computer that requires it to function properly.
Since the OP is the second buyer, it serves no purpose to name out the conversion company as we do not know what transpired between them and the original owner of the build.

For all we know, the original owner asked for what he got because he could not afford to go all out correct and just wanted something "running" but not sorted.
Sponsored

DAVECS2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah... there was a "custom tune" in this one to 750hp instead of 707... perhaps it is just as easy as putting a new ECM, from the original builder, with "stock" Hellcat configuration and a new exhaust? I would love to think so but... (see my response to Dave, below).

Dave, I have been reading a lot on engine/programming issues... you appear to be one of the foremost experts here. Thanks for taking the time to think about my issue(s) and respond. I am not quite ready to throw in the towel yet but I appreciate your offer.

FYI- there were NO oxygen sensors in the exhaust on this truck when I picked it up... AMW told me that the O2 sensors, intercooler and electronic bypass, along with some other fuel related stuff, are the reasons why this doesn't run right... they haven't done an in person diagnosis but suggested they had seen this before.
Well if you wanted to ship it over I could work on it.

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I hope that they didn't do an E85 tune and just didn't tell you. 🤦🏻‍♂️

But, I wouldn't be surprised.

Sponsored

SuperJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Meeting Attender and Email Responder
Well if you wanted to ship it over I could work on it.
Dave has worked WONDERS with my Magnuson-equipped 21 JT. The engine feels completely transformed with his tuning work.

peteinaustin

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Rubicon JKU, 2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I find myself in a bit of a situation...

I bought a 2020 Hellcat Gladiator for, what anyone in their right mind would agree is a STUPID good deal. All the pieces are there, asthetically in amazing shape - 13k miles, a really nice truck, no regrets given the price paid. BUT, theres a reason that it was a stupid good deal... it runs like CR4P.

It doesn't start well, it kinda has a mind of its own on throttle, it has huge power delivery problems (under partial throttle acceleration > 3000rpm), the transmission shift points are really inconsistent and terrible for the street. It cruises the highway at 75mph GREAT, but thats not what I bought it for.

The (nationally recognized) shop that did the conversion briefly answered a first email but has failed to respond to follow up emails and several calls. I am still in touch with the seller, he's great, no issues there. He wasn't really up front about how poorly this is running but it was cheap and its not his car anymore - no biggie.

I took the Gladiator to a shop by me, well known for dyno tuning Hellcats, LTA/LT4s... they said they had never seen anything like this. There is no emissions equipment on the car (no cats - I think they were resonators, no oxygen sensors.... etc), the tune on the JT ECU is locked and the fuel system is sort of 'tricked'. The ECU thinks its a 5.7L (according to the tuners) and/or at times a 3.6L; at no time does it think its a supercharged 6.2L.

I had intended to use this Gladiator as a replacement daily driver, trailer hauler and enjoy the utility of the pick up bed. I have a few toys, including a dedicated off-road vehicle, I wasn't looking for this to be another.

My options:

1) Sell the truck as is, with FULL disclosure and let someone else take on the project
Pretty sure I am even money even after shipping the truck and paying the tax to register

2) Try to pursue the original builder further.
I didn't commission the build. Further, it was done almost 3 years ago... I dont really have any recourse; could there be an easy fix I am missing?!

3) Ship it to AMW for a PROPER conversion, including Tons, and enjoy it. I have been in touch with them (Jared has been awesome).
Pretty sure I am IN the money after a proper conversion... thats why someone would buy it from me now. BUT, going this route would mean that this Gladiator is no longer an ideal "daily"

3) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"maybe its something really cool that I dont even know about"

All input appreciated
I recently had a similar experience with a 6.4 install. However in my case the initial installer failed miserably and it never ran. The installer eventually had to ship the vehicle to AMW4X4 to fix. The AMW team has been fantastic...such a breath of fresh air from my previous experience. The sales guy answers my calls or emails within 24 hours and the Ops guy keeps me updated on progress.

Like you I decided since it was there anyway, I'd have the axles swapped (after waiting 9 months for Dynatrac to deliver a set I finally gave up on them).

Should have my JT back from AMW next week

Gun Smoke Halo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tricycle
All input appreciated
[/QUOTE]
Fix it.
It's the right thing to do given your financial position. When it's done right you probably will not want to sell it. However, if you do the next buyer will heap praise on you and your karma card will be flush with points. Unlike the guy you got it from. The lesson learned will carry you in the future.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase
If I had deep pockets, I'd say 1 and 3. Get rid of that headache and start with a new Jeep and get that conversion going.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Fix it.
It's the right thing to do given your financial position. When it's done right you probably will not want to sell it. However, if you do the next buyer will heap praise on you and your karma card will be flush with points. Unlike the guy you got it from. The lesson learned will carry you in the future.
The seller paid the penalty of selling it in the condition it was in. They should be pretty neutral on the karma side.

OP
OP

Johnny3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellcat JTR, 2000 TJ
I hope that they didn't do an E85 tune and just didn't tell you. 🤦🏻‍♂️

But, I wouldn't be surprised.
Whoa - never even THOUGHT of this.... The seller would have told me though, he's a pretty knowledgable car guy.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
FYI- there were NO oxygen sensors in the exhaust on this truck when I picked it up... AMW told me that the O2 sensors, intercooler and electronic bypass, along with some other fuel related stuff, are the reasons why this doesn't run right... they haven't done an in person diagnosis but suggested they had seen this before.
Hand the keys and a credit card to AMW and I bet they get you running right.
AMW 100% of the way if you want it to run like an OE Hemi.

We've done a number of AMW Hemi swaps and they come with everything needed to make it run like a stock Hemi equipped truck and so far we've had very little trouble with any of their installs. (The hardest was getting a Hellcat swapped into a 2.0 JL due to differences between a 3.6 and 2.0 JL, fuel lines, wiring layout etc.).

V8flooz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20211 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Real Estate
Why ask why? It’s an Internet forum do what you think is best. My guess is you’re trolling fur buyers with your post instead of putting it in the classifieds

V8flooz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20211 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Real Estate
I find myself in a bit of a situation...

I bought a 2020 Hellcat Gladiator for, what anyone in their right mind would agree is a STUPID good deal. All the pieces are there, asthetically in amazing shape - 13k miles, a really nice truck, no regrets given the price paid. BUT, theres a reason that it was a stupid good deal... it runs like CR4P.

It doesn't start well, it kinda has a mind of its own on throttle, it has huge power delivery problems (under partial throttle acceleration > 3000rpm), the transmission shift points are really inconsistent and terrible for the street. It cruises the highway at 75mph GREAT, but thats not what I bought it for.

The (nationally recognized) shop that did the conversion briefly answered a first email but has failed to respond to follow up emails and several calls. I am still in touch with the seller, he's great, no issues there. He wasn't really up front about how poorly this is running but it was cheap and its not his car anymore - no biggie.

I took the Gladiator to a shop by me, well known for dyno tuning Hellcats, LTA/LT4s... they said they had never seen anything like this. There is no emissions equipment on the car (no cats - I think they were resonators, no oxygen sensors.... etc), the tune on the JT ECU is locked and the fuel system is sort of 'tricked'. The ECU thinks its a 5.7L (according to the tuners) and/or at times a 3.6L; at no time does it think its a supercharged 6.2L.

I had intended to use this Gladiator as a replacement daily driver, trailer hauler and enjoy the utility of the pick up bed. I have a few toys, including a dedicated off-road vehicle, I wasn't looking for this to be another.

My options:

1) Sell the truck as is, with FULL disclosure and let someone else take on the project
Pretty sure I am even money even after shipping the truck and paying the tax to register

2) Try to pursue the original builder further.
I didn't commission the build. Further, it was done almost 3 years ago... I dont really have any recourse; could there be an easy fix I am missing?!

3) Ship it to AMW for a PROPER conversion, including Tons, and enjoy it. I have been in touch with them (Jared has been awesome).
Pretty sure I am IN the money after a proper conversion... thats why someone would buy it from me now. BUT, going this route would mean that this Gladiator is no longer an ideal "daily"

3) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"maybe its something really cool that I dont even know about"

All input appreciated
Sponsored