First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
So I recently purchased a Badlands 12k that I have yet to install. I'm considering swapping the factory hook to something that is a bit more protected and clean looking. I'm not a serious off road thrasher, so I can't see myself using the winch very often, but, I still wanted one just in case. I see Factor 55 offers various options, but they are certainly proud of their product (which I hear is warranted). But for my application, I (probably) can't justify spending $200+ on something I might use once or twice a year. I will, however, change my tune if the masses think it's worth it.

What are you guys running? Any alternatives that aren't insanely priced but will still get the job done? Why did you choose the shackle that you did? Why flatlink vs prolink vs. whatever else?
Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
I use the Mile Marker Winch Shackle Mount. It is basically a rubber housing that slides over your rope's thimble, protecting it and giving a convenient grip. I like the rubber feature as if it is dropped or bangs again the bumper or other metal, no damage to it or the bumper/metal. And only $30.
Jeep Gladiator What winch shackle are you running? mm2

Jeep Gladiator What winch shackle are you running? mm1

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I use the Mile Marker Winch Shackle Mount. It is basically a rubber housing that slides over your rope's thimble, protecting it and giving a convenient grip. I like the rubber feature as if it is dropped or bangs again the bumper or other metal, no damage to it or the bumper/metal. And only $30.

Think Iā€™m gonna have to give this a try.

Reactions: mog

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Currently, I have the standard Warn hook attached to a Maximus 3 hook anchor plate.

I think my plan is to undo the splice and remove the metal thimble. I then plan to re-splice it with a 3/4ā€ abrasion sleeve on the closed loop and store that on my hook anchor.

I kind of like the idea of no metal scarring up the bumper. I will post some pics if I get it done. I carry soft shackles which should provide a pretty flexible set up for the closed loop.

I donā€™t have much winch experience other than mudding with quads, so if Iā€™m terribly off track, let me know!

534293D7-EBA3-4412-8E9F-3E80462F06BD.jpeg

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I used a "Hammer Lock" link on my 8k winch for about 20 years, I didn't want a hook that could fail. On my 9k I've got a regular winch cable n hook (LJ). Winch line (came with and H.F. hook on 12k (JT) not my first choice but cost vs needs a hook won, I've not had one destruction fail before but the 8k winch was used quite often on my XJ. Now the other winches are used very little so reasoned and I haven't ditched the hooks. I'm not planning on "Keeping up with the Jones" or the other Kool kids with my JT. One of them is fill-ups of gasoline. :like: the darn replacement hook I put on the 12k winch is around $40.00 If I have to use extension line(s) on the winch the hook will be removed and I'll use soft shackles. Less chance of 2-5 lbs of metal flying though the air.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Iā€™ve been considering this aspect of winching myself. I have no experience in this area, but figure if folks at Warn are shipping their winches with hooks, it canā€™t possibly be that high of a risk. Obviously if you have $200 with absolutely nothing else to spend it on, a closed system is superior on paper with one less failure point. But with other upgrades always on our lists, not sure a Factor55 shackle is a top priority for someone who doesnā€™t winch all the time. That mile marker option listed above seems more reasonable as a preventative measure.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I use a F55 Flatlink on my JK. I like the low profile.

But, whatever you choose, if you have synthetic line you need to protect it from UV exposure. F55 has a Rope Guard that helps, and the Milemarker rubber thimble shields the rope.

I used a piece of a bicycle inner tube and a strip of nylon webbing to protect my rope. I also use a piece of rubber to protect the spooled line from water & mud.:

Jeep Gladiator What winch shackle are you running? Winch (Large)

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Mile Marker is a nice cost effective option. Iā€™ve looked at them but the thimble on my line wonā€™t fit. Another reasonably priced option is the Smittybilt AWS.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Factor 55 Flatlink e
Can be used with a shackle or in a pinch slips over the hooks on your bumper

IMG_9753.jpg

Sponsored

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
I have the Factor 55 Ultrahook. It's great because it has a closed system shackle mount hole machined into the body of the hook, safety latch retraction pocket resulting in a clear throat opening, integrated secondary safety latch locking feature-latch locking pin stored in the body of the UltraHook which can be removed and inserted in to the hook tip, locking the latch into place.

https://offroadalliance.com/Factor-55-UltraHook-Silver-0025005/

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I haven't installed it yet, but I went with the Yankum Groove fairlead as I don't want any metal in the line.

It's not exactly cheap, but not that much different than some of the factor 55 stuff.

20220601_183248.jpg

J3colt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
I went with the Factor 55 Prolink. I'm extremely happy with it and it has protected my bumper from pesky walls that keep jumping in front of me when parking. šŸ˜

Screenshot_20220304-210932_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20220306_143850.jpg

20220306_143929.jpg

20220306_143907.jpg

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
So I recently purchased a Badlands 12k that I have yet to install. I'm considering swapping the factory hook to something that is a bit more protected and clean looking. I'm not a serious off road thrasher, so I can't see myself using the winch very often, but, I still wanted one just in case. I see Factor 55 offers various options, but they are certainly proud of their product (which I hear is warranted). But for my application, I (probably) can't justify spending $200+ on something I might use once or twice a year. I will, however, change my tune if the masses think it's worth it.

What are you guys running? Any alternatives that aren't insanely priced but will still get the job done? Why did you choose the shackle that you did? Why flatlink vs prolink vs. whatever else?
https://buy.yankumropes.com/collect...ead-tow-point-hawse-fair-lead-by-yankum-ropes

Someone beat me to it! This is an awesome awesome setup. I have a couple metal d rings- just because I have had themā€¦. But everything aside from the snatch block I have gone away from metal. Quite honestly, aside from a tree saver, a soft shackle and a kinetic rope- I havenā€™t had a need to use a winch in a long timeā€¦.

Yankum makes some really good stuff. Made in America too!
Sponsored