Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Because full-size is just too big!
I traded my 2019 Tundra (awesome vehicle BTW) once we downsized our trailer from a 6000 lbs 26 foot Forest River Mini Lite to a 2800 lbs Geo Pro. The Geo is narrower with better suspension, solar power, etc. and more suitable for dry camping, and the Gladiator is narrow and more suitable for off road exploration. It really came down to right-sizing our vehicle and RV to fit what we wanted to do with like minded friends.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I kept my full-size 1-ton HD 4x4 diesel for heavy hauling and towing...And it's built, and it's a beast... :like:

Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? IMG_8875

...But it can't do this... And that's why I have a JTR for a daily driver. ;)

Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? JTR 2

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
I got mine because it checked all the boxes I wanted and needed. I also spent a little over half of that you are looking at. I paid about $36k out the door including taxes/tags/fees. But I wanted only the utilitarian options and none of the luxury stuff. I got a base sport with roll up windows and added max tow, bed liner, aux switches, and rubber floor mats. That's it, no 7 or 8 inch stereo, no power windows, no heated seats, no leather, etc.

I needed a quad cab 4x4 that could tow 7k lbs. All full sized trucks and most mid sized trucks have at least one trim level that checks this box.

I wanted an off road toy. It's hard to find a mid sized truck that checks this box and the towing one in the same package but most full sized trucks could do this but not as well as the Gladiator.

I wanted something easier to park then a full sized truck. The gladiator is about a long as a full sized truck but it is narrower which makes navigating in parking lots and on trails easier.

I wanted a convertible. This is the only truck that checks this box.

When you look at base sticker price the Gladiator is expensive, but that's because it only offers quad cab 4x4. Once you add those requirements it isn't much more expensive then other trucks and it is also a convertible and in base trim it offers better off road capabilities then most trucks due with the exception of their high priced off road versions.

It really depends on what you want and need. If you just need to move heavy payloads, get a full sized truck. If you want a convertible or an off road toy get a Wrangler. If you need both get a Gladiator.

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
Gas mileage, parking size in a downtown parking garage and Jeep fun are my reasons. Just like boat size and jet outboard or prop, there are no perfect vehicles. Always give and take. The JT checks the most boxes for me. Price for a full size is usually more from my shopping experience too. Especially with the deal I got in May with the incentives and great trade in pricing. Glad I bought when I did. Most dealers near me do not have much inventory except for the higher end Rubicon and Overland models. Loving the Gladiator!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
When you look at base sticker price the Gladiator is expensive, but that's because it only offers quad cab 4x4. Once you add those requirements it isn't much more expensive than other trucks and it is also a convertible, and in base trim it offers better off road capabilities than most trucks do with the exception of their high priced off road versions.
^ Best summary.

Sponsored

OliverJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Ford Fusion Hybrid
To me its all about character. Gladiator/wranger makes you feel something. Its not sterile like every other suv/cuv/truck minus the raptor. My opinion anyways.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Because it’s not just a truck and it’s not just a Jeep. It’s both and nothing else is like it. Same reason you wouldn’t buy a Cherokee instead of a Wrangler. While the Cherokee likely drives smoother, is still 4wd, and is a great vehicle, it isn’t a wrangler. The Gladiator is the most fun and functional combination on the road currently.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I remember 2007 was a tossup. Love the 5.9 but the deleted 6.7 was pretty sweet too. Nice rig.
Yeah, Dodge has always loved those 1/2-year model changeups... Really makes shit confusing when you buy one brand new when they come out, and then nobody's computer system is setup for the new model... I can't tell you how many times apocolyptic-level confusion set-in when trying to buy parts for it back in 2007/2008...

The people who hated the 6.7's weren't really aware of their potential deleted, or getting past the weak points in the design. Once you got those buttoned-up, it was a smoother, faster, more powerful, and better-to-build-on better powerplant (IMO) than the last generation 5.9 was.

Dooley the Clown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wranger, 2018 Honda Pilot, 2000 Honda VT1100
I rarely read a thread end-to-end but this has been interesting reading.

greenMarine

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S - tow pack
Occupation
Investment Sales
I said the same thing until the prices on the JT came down - I've owned about every make and model of 4x4 (S.D., Ram 2500's, F150, 1500 Chev, 3-JK's, more TJ's than I can count), few 1/2 tons are close to as capable modified as the JT is stock and even then 1/2-tons need a ton of work and then they're still big. H.D. variaties, (excluding the GM b/c of the antiquated Torsion Bar b.s. front end) RAM and Ford then, can be 'capable' but if your like most people your buying a diesel variety, the weight is a detractor for both off-road and city driving - they are lumbering beasts - and really shine with a trailer behind them or a long highway road trip. The JT, is comfortable, like most of the 1/2-tons on the mkt, the v6 being less than a v8 is in reality its only drawback - and if your a tow-boy you should be looking at the platform that excels at that in the first place. The stock Dana 44's on all Gladiators and the available 4.10's with wide track, mean your essentially getting 1/2 ton axles on a light duty truck - the value is there. My decision between a JT and JL came down to the fact that I could get those 44's without having to buy a RUBICON... there is a lot of value in the JT... it isn't there at first glance - but with some consideration it becomes obvious.

ericinva

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The "why" is really easy: The Gladiator is what you get when you need a truck, but want a convertible.

We're just a few days in with ours, and we absolutely love it. The bright Firecracker Red paint job definitely makes it a head turner, and I never got such enthusiastic Jeep waves with the Wrangler we had.
Sponsored