Sponsored

5.7 Hemi install

JeepinFuture?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hello Everyone. I am trying to decide between a Ram Cummins and Gladiator. I know, I know very different uses for each. One of the main reasons I am turned off by the gladiator is the turd of a V6 they offer. I know the diesel would be a good choice but I am wanting the Mojave and it doesn't have a diesel option. I would love to get one from the factory with a 5.7l hemi so I know that it is under warranty and it would have a transmission built for that kind of power.

Exodus charging basically $30k for hemi swap seems like highway robbery to me. You can get all of the parts for a 5.7l for roughly $15k... so paying them $15k for the install? Wow! Someone please tell me if I missing something?
Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Everyone. I am trying to decide between a Ram Cummins and Gladiator. I know, I know very different uses for each. One of the main reasons I am turned off by the gladiator is the turd of a V6 they offer. I know the diesel would be a good choice but I am wanting the Mojave and it doesn't have a diesel option. I would love to get one from the factory with a 5.7l hemi so I know that it is under warranty and it would have a transmission built for that kind of power.

Exodus charging basically $30k for hemi swap seems like highway robbery to me. You can get all of the parts for a 5.7l for roughly $15k... so paying them $15k for the install? Wow! Someone please tell me if I missing something?
I'm not @JTPatriot or @KurtP, or @Mopar King they know a ton more than I do, but are you including the suspension, brakes, and wheel and tire upgrades?

Lin.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The Power Wagon seems to be the answer to the question your asking, if you can live with its size

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well not to be splitting hairs here but you will be closer to $20000 if not a bit more for a new engine with all the accessories and wiring harness plus the new truck transmission, new radiator, full stainless exhaust and any other items needed for the install from computers to windshield washer tanks. Plus with it being installed by an authorized installer you get a 3 year 36000 mile warranty on the engine, transmission and install.

I was in the same thinking that, dang that is a lot of money and yes it is. Then I got to thinking about the 6.0 LS and 6L80E transmission, both used that I installed with a DYI kit from RPM Extreme. Doing it myself, and all of the little parts you need plus getting an exhaust built plus buying HpTuners so I could tune it I was at about $16000 when done, that is after 5 weeks of crawling in, under and around the JK getting it done ( 1 week straight then evenings and weekends). Then I spent the next 5 years piddling and fighting with it to get all the little bugs and gremlins out of it. Which I finally did then I sold it to my son and got the Gladiator.

Since I was now in a position of being able to have someone else do the install and have any and all of the bugs worked out when I picked it up I did it and I have no regrets whats so ever. At times I think about the amount I spent, so I go out and drive it and just smile, hearing that V8 rumble and sitting me back in the seat makes it all better.

But to your original question JeepinFuture. Yes I wish they did put in a V8 from the factory, make it a lot more simple.
If I would be buying new again, with out even thinking about V8 conversions. I would go with the diesel. I understand they do not have them in the Mojave but what is in the Mojave that you do not want the Rubicon to get the diesel? Mainly seeing as how you are looking at at a Ram with a Cummins, so only fair to look at the diesel in the JT.

Another option is to buy a used Mojave if you can find one and then do a V8 swap! Then you would be getting the warranty for the motor and transmission and cash layout would not be significantly more than a band new JT.

Sponsored

JeepinFuture?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Well not to be splitting hairs here but you will be closer to $20000 if not a bit more for a new engine with all the accessories and wiring harness plus the new truck transmission, new radiator, full stainless exhaust and any other items needed for the install from computers to windshield washer tanks. Plus with it being installed by an authorized installer you get a 3 year 36000 mile warranty on the engine, transmission and install.

I was in the same thinking that, dang that is a lot of money and yes it is. Then I got to thinking about the 6.0 LS and 6L80E transmission, both used that I installed with a DYI kit from RPM Extreme. Doing it myself, and all of the little parts you need plus getting an exhaust built plus buying HpTuners so I could tune it I was at about $16000 when done, that is after 5 weeks of crawling in, under and around the JK getting it done ( 1 week straight then evenings and weekends). Then I spent the next 5 years piddling and fighting with it to get all the little bugs and gremlins out of it. Which I finally did then I sold it to my son and got the Gladiator.

Since I was now in a position of being able to have someone else do the install and have any and all of the bugs worked out when I picked it up I did it and I have no regrets whats so ever. At times I think about the amount I spent, so I go out and drive it and just smile, hearing that V8 rumble and sitting me back in the seat makes it all better.

But to your original question JeepinFuture. Yes I wish they did put in a V8 from the factory, make it a lot more simple.
If I would be buying new again, with out even thinking about V8 conversions. I would go with the diesel. I understand they do not have them in the Mojave but what is in the Mojave that you do not want the Rubicon to get the diesel? Mainly seeing as how you are looking at at a Ram with a Cummins, so only fair to look at the diesel in the JT.

Another option is to buy a used Mojave if you can find one and then do a V8 swap! Then you would be getting the warranty for the motor and transmission and cash layout would not be significantly more than a band new JT.
Great response. Thank you! Yes, that is true I did not think about the exhaust and all of the other items plus the feeling of having a pro do it with a warranty so it probably is a pretty fair deal.

I test drove both a mojave and rubicon and liked the ride better with the mojave. I would rarely use the goods the rubicon offers and a "high speed" rear locker is pretty neat in Mojave. Maybe I will try to find a diesel Rubi then just add some massive coil overs to get "same" ride as the mojave.

(I used to own a ram with cummins and test drove one same day as the mojave and it brought a smile back I hadn't had in a while with all the low end torque). Need to test a diesel Rubi next!

Either way the hemi swap is awesome, It would be nice if Jeep offered 5.7l from factory as it would not have to be a $30k adder but if its within your budget, more power to you. I'm jealous!

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition

labor cost ist around 8K I think generally speaking for the swaps and starts with not only taking out the power train but welding in the engine mounts for the hemi which is beyond my skill set for sure. It is definitely a big job since basically everything that is in the engine bay and tied to transmission is swapped

P90Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition, 2011 JKU Rubicon

If you go to the AMW website you will see what they offer with the hemi-swap packages. It is pretty much everything. Trans, radiator, you name it. On their site they seem to offer 6.4l and higher but if you call them, they do the 5.7l for ~$30K the last time I checked. Good luck. Seriously considering a 5.7l or 6.4l swap for my '20 JT LE.

rpres62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Magnusson Supercharger: 440hp AND 380 ft-lbs

5.7L Hemi: 383 HP and 425ft-lb torque

Honestly, that's a lot of coin to go that route IMHO.
Ill take torque any day of the week.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Still loving the way the JT drives with the 5.7. No real issues either and still waiting to pull my camper. It seems that it is either storming or in the 100's temp wise around here. Will be heading to Colorado in August so that may be the test.
I did end up opening up my hood vents and made them functional. No numbers to show if it has made a difference or not in any temps but it makes me feel better!

hood vents.jpg

hood vents 1.jpg

hood vents 2.jpg

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Great response. Thank you! Yes, that is true I did not think about the exhaust and all of the other items plus the feeling of having a pro do it with a warranty so it probably is a pretty fair deal.

I test drove both a mojave and rubicon and liked the ride better with the mojave. I would rarely use the goods the rubicon offers and a "high speed" rear locker is pretty neat in Mojave. Maybe I will try to find a diesel Rubi then just add some massive coil overs to get "same" ride as the mojave.

(I used to own a ram with cummins and test drove one same day as the mojave and it brought a smile back I hadn't had in a while with all the low end torque). Need to test a diesel Rubi next!

Either way the hemi swap is awesome, It would be nice if Jeep offered 5.7l from factory as it would not have to be a $30k adder but if its within your budget, more power to you. I'm jealous!
I’ve read numerous diesel guys complaining about bottoming of the front suspension. Something to be aware of because it sounds like you are more of a high speed runner type than a rock crawler type. If you’re talking coilovers though it shouldn’t be a problem.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well seeing as I am going to Colorado in a few weeks doing some camping and trail running. Figured I should shift the transfer case in and out and see how it all acts (I know, should have done this right after I got it back. Just realized I have not used 4 wheel drive yet.)
Holy crap low range is LLLLOOOOWWWW now. This is with 37's and 4.88's. Not even sure I will be able to use it :CWL: I mean 12 mph in 8th gear! Now I see why shrinkhead made comment about standing on the brakes.
Anyway nothing else just wanted to share.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Well seeing as I am going to Colorado in a few weeks doing some camping and trail running. Figured I should shift the transfer case in and out and see how it all acts (I know, should have done this right after I got it back. Just realized I have not used 4 wheel drive yet.)
Holy crap low range is LLLLOOOOWWWW now. This is with 37's and 4.88's. Not even sure I will be able to use it :CWL: I mean 12 mph in 8th gear! Now I see why shrinkhead made comment about standing on the brakes.
Anyway nothing else just wanted to share.
Ha ha that's awesome. btw thinking about my next build out phase. Was planning for 37s but was thinking maybe 40s is the answer 😂

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Ha ha that's awesome. btw thinking about my next build out phase. Was planning for 37s but was thinking maybe 40s is the answer 😂
I know, I am eyeing larger tires myself. Swore I would not go bigger than 37 but they have the torque to go bigger now!
Sponsored