Sponsored

5.7 Hemi install

Deleted member 28696

I cant see ever having a $20-30k budget for a hemi swap as much as I would like to. I think a supercharger is where ill end up.

Enjoy. Cant wait to see it when done.
yeah me as well but not sure I need a supercharger after gearing to 5.13's it's as good as stock but would be nice to have more HP. Really like the looks of that Magnuson SC.
Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this is a dumb/ignorant question, but what sort of aftermarket price will the old powertrain fetch? Or is that a core fee with the conversation?

I was worried about MPG for reduced range, but looks like that is a non issue. Now I’m on the way to justifying this at some point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
At the time I did mine it was a core refund of $1500 for motor and trans. Apparently not much demand for the stock items yet.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Damn I would of gave you that!
Yeah really... I would find a spot in the garage and shrink wrap it till it maybe needed, for $1,500-$2,000 dollars.

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Yeah really... I would find a spot in the garage and shrink wrap it till it maybe needed, for $1,500-$2,000 dollars.
If I find a deal like that, I will build a purpose built forced induction engine. I think with the Magnuson I could put close to 400 to the wheels with better components. I can tune the trans to live, but I wonder how hard it would be to put a Ram 1500 trans on the 3.6L

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
If I find a deal like that, I will build a purpose built forced induction engine. I think with the Magnuson I could put close to 400 to the wheels with better components. I can tune the trans to live, but I wonder how hard it would be to put a Ram 1500 trans on the 3.6L
the pentastar is cheap to get. Rubi had a listing for 2500 for the take outs and I don’t think the crates are much more

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I cant see ever having a $20-30k budget for a hemi swap as much as I would like to. I think a supercharger is where ill end up.

Enjoy. Cant wait to see it when done.
A factory EcoDiesel JT with $1,600 in mods (AFE intake, Banks tuning) makes about 300 HP and 550 lb/ft of torque at the crank.

What do you end up with after a $30,000 Hemi swap? Probably more horsepower, definitely less torque, and half the fuel economy.

Yeah, for me that would be a really hard pill to swallow.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
A factory EcoDiesel JT with $1,600 in mods (AFE intake, Banks tuning) makes about 300 HP and 550 lb/ft of torque at the crank.

What do you end up with after a $30,000 Hemi swap? Probably more horsepower, definitely less torque, and half the fuel economy.

im super happy with my supercharger.

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette

Personally I wouldn't own a modern diesel without a warranty. Every repair is $10k it seems like.

I wouldn't do a swap for $30k either. I have no idea why it should cost that much. I can't imagine the engine and trans is much more than $3k for a low mileage example out of the junkyard. Is there that much labor involved? Doesn't seem possible.

I have LS swapped 2 vehicles and it always costs more than I expect, but it was never even close to $30K. (And they made a lot more than 300 HP)

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Personally I wouldn't own a modern diesel without a warranty. Every repair is $10k it seems like.

I wouldn't do a swap for $30k either. I have no idea why it should cost that much. I can't imagine the engine and trans is much more than $3k for a low mileage example out of the junkyard. Is there that much labor involved? Doesn't seem possible.

I have LS swapped 2 vehicles and it always costs more than I expect, but it was never even close to $30K. (And they made a lot more than 300 HP)
The cost of the swap is also for all the engineering that went into making everything in the Jeep work like oem, gauges, controls, emissions ect.
You can do an LS swap but nothing will work or look like oem, last time I looked the new LS swap motor with trans was over $20k, the 5.7 and 6.4 swaps are new motors and transmissions not junk yard take outs.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

AEV charges 45 hours for a JK Hemi swap. This was a few years ago, but I doubt it has changed much.

Last V8 swap I did was $5k without factoring in anything for the donor I had. And then the motor took a dump a few thousand miles later because I gambled on a 130k mile motor without doing a rebuild before install. :facepalm:

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
AEV charges 45 hours for a JK Hemi swap. This was a few years ago, but I doubt it has changed much.

Last V8 swap I did was $5k without factoring in anything for the donor I had. And then the motor took a dump a few thousand miles later because I gambled on a 130k mile motor without doing a rebuild before install. :facepalm:
45 hours seems fair. I think it's probably less after you've done it a few times, but it isn't outrageous.

The last swap I spent more time on the wiring harness than anything else, but I was able to save a lot of time because I didn't have to fab anything.
Sponsored